Union Plus Credit Card Holder Gets Disaster Relief

Hurricane Sandy left devastation behind after it made landfall in New Jersey in October 2012. Fletcher Robinson, a retired USW Local 300 member, was one of the victims of the hurricane damage. Union Plus was one of the first responders on the ground.

Robinson, who is a Union Plus Credit Card holder, qualified to receive $500 from the Union Plus Disaster Relief Program. I was surprised when I got the check in the mail. I really appreciate it. It helped us so much, says the retired union printer of 47 years, who served as a shop steward for 21 years.

As soon as the storm passed, Robinson called Union Plus Credit Card customer service to let them know that he had been affected by the storm. I didnt want to be late with my payments, and I wanted to let them know what was happening, Robinson says.

He says he was relieved to know that he could get some help from his union affiliation. I am a union believer, says Robinson. And I am thankful to have this kind of help.

Robinson and his wife are among thousands of families in the Northeast who sustained damage from Hurricane Sandy. His house in Bayonne, N.J., was damaged badly by the storm. We are still dealing with the damage. Our roof and kitchen were really damaged by the storm, he says. We are trying to hold up as much as we can, and the Union Plus grant came just in time to help pay three major bills this month, Robinson adds.

Union Plus Disaster Relief Grants of $500 are available to help participants in the Union Plus credit card, insurance, or mortgage programs who are facing financial hardship due to the recent severe weather.

Money from Union Plus Disaster Relief Grants does not have to be repaid. To qualify for a Union Plus Disaster Relief Grant, the union member must be a victim of severe weather in counties designated by FEMA as qualifying for individual assistance; have experienced a significant loss of income or property within the last six months due to the disaster; have had a Union Plus credit card, Union Plus insurance policy, or Union Plus mortgage for at least 12 months with the account or policy in good standing; and document the income or property loss.